839 Russell Laboratories
1630 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706
Chemical ecology, climate change, trophic interactions, “genes to ecosystems” ecology, bioenergy
PhD Biology (Ecology Program), University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. 1984.
B.S. Fisheries and Wildlife Biology, Iowa State University, Ames. 1977.
Department of Forest and Wildlife Ecology, UW-Madison
Department of Integrative Biology, UW-Madison
Molecular and Environmental Toxicology Center, UW-Madison
Gaylord Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies, UW-Madison
Ecology. Our research interests are broad, spanning the range from biochemical to ecosystem ecology, with a strong evolutionary perspective. A major emphasis is chemical mechanisms that mediate ecological interactions, with particular interest in plant-herbivore interactions. One focal area emphasizes the roles of genetics and resource availability in modulating plant defense characteristics, costs/benefits of defense, and consequences of variation in defense for multi-trophic interactions and ecosystem function. A second focal area investigates the effects of global environmental change (elevated temperature, enriched carbon dioxide, ozone) on plant-insect interactions, arthropod biodiversity, litter decomposition and nutrient cycling. A third focal area addresses the consequences of genetic manipulation of poplar as a biofuel for insect pest resistance.
Online profiles: Google Scholar
- Entomology 473. Plant-Insect Interactions.
- Entomology and Molecular Environmental Toxicology 632, 633, 634. Ecotoxicology.
- Entomology 903. Organismal entomology.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- American Scientific Affiliation
- Ecological Society of America
- Entomological Society of America
- International Society of Chemical Ecology
- 2020 Hilldale Award in Biological Sciences, University of Wisconsin
- 2019 Dalton Lecturer, George Fox University, Newberg, OR.
- 2018 Scientist in Residence, Canadian Mennonite University, Winnipeg, Canada.
- 2017 Elected Fellow, Entomological Society of America.
- 2016 Vilas Distinguished Achievement and Sorenson Professor, University of Wisconsin.
- 2016 Elected Fellow, Ecological Society of America.
- 2011-12 Fellow, Academic Leadership Program, Committee on Institutional Cooperation.
- 2011-12 Vilas Associate Award, University of Wisconsin.
- 2010 Kellett Mid-Career Faculty Research Award, University of Wisconsin.
- 2009 Silverstein-Simeone Award in Chemical Ecology. Internat. Soc. of Chemical Ecology.
- 2008 Aspen-FACE (Free Air CO2 Enrichment) “Pioneer” Award.
- 2007 Chairperson, Gordon Research Conference on Plant-Herbivore Interactions.
- 2006 Elected Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- 2005 “Distinguished Ecologist” Lecture Series, Mich. Tech. Univ. & USDA Forest Service.
- 2004 Vice chairperson, Gordon Research Conference on Plant-Herbivore Interactions.
- 1997 Fulbright Senior Scholar Award, New Zealand.
- 1997 AgResearch Research Fellowship, Grasslands Research Centre, New Zealand.
- 1996 H.I. Romnes Award, University of Wisconsin.
- 1994 Glenn Pound Award for Outstanding Research, University of Wisconsin.
- 1985 NSF Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Environmental Biology.